Associate Professor in Analytical Chemistry
Departent of Chemistry
Faculty of Arts and Sciences
American University of Beirut
Office: Chemistry; Room: 508
Phone: +9611350000 ext. 3992
- Ph.D. (1999) from University of Southern California
- M.Sc. (1994), from California State University, Long Beach
- Atmospheric chemistry: Mass and chemical speciation of coarse and fine particles indoors and outdoors.
- Study of air pollutants involving the measurement of the levels, diurnal, and seasonal variations of low carbonyls, CO, SO2, and O3 in Lebanon.
- Development of new analytical techniques for the determination of i) toxic components in arghileh smoke, and ii) thymoquinone; a preventive anti-cancer food additive, in blood.
- Bioprospection research as part of the Initiative of Biodiversity Studies in Arid Regions (IBSAR): Extraction and identification of biologically active components isolated from several Lebanese endemic plants that have been known by folk medicine to have medicinal usage.
- Extraction and identification of the chemical profile of essential oils from plants of high commercial value.